Monday 17 March 2008


Post XII - Listen up! Speak up!

Students,

It is my intention in this post to stay well away from any negative thinking or the type of ranting that I can sometimes be guilty of. Actually I am going to make a concerted effort in all areas of my life to see the best side of everything and stay calm and awake to what comes my way. The best way I can think to do this is to continue taking opportunities for stillness and quiet time and in doing so turn off the soundtrack of that voice in my head when it’s not needed. There shall be no judging or blaming or avoidance. In addition I am going to read as much literature as possible on human spirituality and the psychology of our relationships. Often the messages in these books are obvious, but right now I am finding it helpful to draw from them and apply the techniques for myself.

One point that I have become very aware of and that is bothering me is a general state I can see in a lot of people. In fact it’s really a problem but as it’s so ingrained I think you might describe it better as a state. This is not listening. Being a teacher I always saw myself as quite a good listener but recently I began to think have I been guilty of this as well?

Last week I discovered that a very good friend had feelings of more than friendship for me and had done for some time. As I did not and do not feel the same way my first reaction was to feel awful about this and to think back over the months we had spent together. Why had I not picked up on this before? Had I hurt them by not listening to them and realizing how they felt? Had I hurt them by any blunt things I’d said at the time I didn’t realize? These questions bothered me. Until that is they continued to harbour resentment for what I believe they saw as my abandonment of them for a better life. That’s when I realized that I was not entirely guilty, and they should have listened to me as I’d spoken of my feelings on relationships, how committed relationships were not for me right now, how I’d enjoyed casual experiences with guys and longed to do so again. I’d also spoken often of my desire to live somewhere new, have money for once, and teach the way I wanted. In short I had spoken my truth over and over and they had not listened.

…However that is in the past and if it needs to be forgiven it is. After all if he was truly in love with me I can understand that he may have read into my actions rather than my words or else heard only what he wanted to hear. But, what is now becoming unforgivable is that after talking to this person openly in a bid to resolve tensions, they continue to not want to hold conversations with me and so not listen. Specifically I can tell that they refuse to ask any questions about my life possibly for fear that my vast Ego will shower them with details of sex and guys they dislike. It bothers me that though I know they’d like a friendship with me they still judge and feel resentful and don’t trust that I can talk to them in a sensitive way that considers their feelings. If they do not want to listen and talk and the best they can do is send text messages after drinking then it seems to me the friendship is over. That’s harsh because I’d love nothing more than for us to return to the type of closeness and support we had for each other, and I know they are a good person, but I am not a bad person and I certainly won’t be made to feel that I am for the choices that are mine to make. At least I know I tried and I know that he should have tried from the start to speak not from his mind but with his feelings. Nevertheless we all learn in one way or another, and it’s just unfortunate that it is usually through experiencing pain.

It happens that away from drama in Lopburi I’ve attended a few interviews in Bangkok this week and in all but one case I found that the interviewer began by not listening to me. Now this is nowhere near the level of rudeness I experienced at a previous interview I told you about, and it doesn’t cause me to feel I should rant and rave (more), but why bother inviting someone to meet you if you are going to dominate the conversation? In all cases I had to wait patiently before finally getting the chance to put forward some of my ideas and teaching philosophies and in all cases the interview ended with me being offered work.* Why was this? I think because I listened. I looked the interviewer in the eyes and I followed what they were saying. I was present in the moment and when I got to speak I did so with feeling. This was different to what they were blabbing about which in all but one case was a lot of facts and figures I already knew through reading their web page and so really had no further need to be told. I think I surprised the people I was talking to with what I did know, what I thought, and the questions I had for them. If only they’d began by allowing for a 50-50 approach and given me a minute at the start to speak while they listened then maybe they could have spared themselves a lengthy and redundant monologue!!

To me the ability to listen is a great gift to another person. It shows you care and respect who they are. To listen well is to clear your head of schedules, lists, and preconceived judgments of that person, stop what you’re doing, and so be with them. It is insulting to have dinner with someone who is attached to their mobile phone or is simply waiting until you stop speaking to then play their part of nodding in agreement before changing the subject or talking about themselves. EVERYONE knows this and EVERYONE is bothered by it.

Listen up! Speak up!” That’s what my parents say to me and that’s what I say to them. It means that we hear each other even when far away and on the phone. I do not choose to have people as my friends who are ‘absent’ when I talk to them or who (deep breath)… Cause me to speak very QUICKLY so I get my point across so they hear me before they lose interest and I can see they have drifted off into their headspace and their own problems. More people need to tune in to those around them and remain vigilant with themselves that they are always doing this. In addition we should all listen to what our feelings – our true nature – have to say as opposed to the nagging and destructive problem-maker of our thinking minds or, God forbid, those who tell us what to do because they think they know better… With regard to governing people who in their work really should be listening to those they represent and in doing so look past their own narrow mindedness, I believe they have the most to fear from eventual self-destruction.

* Further information about which job I chose will followWhen I choose.

Comments? Questions? Class you may be excused.

Homework: Listen to the sound of silence.


x Teacher

No comments: