Monday 17 March 2008

Post-It Note - Exorcising Ego


Students,

A lot is changing in the life of Teacher just now. You may note that I am trying to find peace in my feelings and experiences as opposed to trying to find meaning in thinking and analytical reflection. It is what Thais and/or Buddhists would call ‘Sati’ – to remain aware with skillful attentiveness. This change in me also necessitates a change in the format of my blog. From now on the only drama described will be the amateur theatre opportunities I hope to pursue with a group in Bangkok. The mental drama I can see I have been creating with my unfulfilled life situation has to go. I will still find it is there of course but I will observe my struggling mind with its doubts and problems and not let it become me, my identity. I aim to live free of control from my own worst enemy and all its negativity. I think this will greatly improve my interaction with others and the world I inhabit.

When I talk of mind I refer of course to Id / Ego / Superego. Freud was certainly ahead of his time but now I believe that rather than simply identifying the way we are, he was actually identifying a problem common in our behaviour as humans. I learned a lot reading Eckhart Tolle’s book The Power of Now. Even though his prose was occasionally overblown, the main theory that we as a species should relinquish control from our mind and accept what is if we are to find personal and collective happiness and balance is one that makes sense for me.

For the reasons detailed I am exorcising Ego from my life. I am guilty of saying things in conversation that bolster my image or score points. I think everyone does this to some extent because it is a symptom of a ‘dog-eat-dog’ society. It is not a useful practice because the satisfaction you get is fleeting and comes from a place of self-doubt and vulnerability. Upon recognizing this for what it is I have found it becomes very easy to speak freely, know that you could never be seen as ‘fake’ or ‘phony’, and also it is great to feel that you truly are at one and expressing your feelings.

The format of the blog will change so that the text is less ‘smart’ and, even though a lot of what you might call my ‘self-promotion’ is done in jest and for those who know me personally; I am going to be more open from now on and have less resistance to describing my feelings. I will cut back on the snark, observe, and accentuate the positives. Let’s call my 12 numbered blog posts a ‘12-step’ to recovery and acceptance and a farewell to the dirty mindedness of Id / Ego / Superego. Students, I hope you enjoy what is to come. I am feeling creative.

Comments? Questions? Class you may be excused.

Homework: Stay tuned in.

x Teacher

No comments: